Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Suck Fony


Wheatus is one of my favorite bands. Unfortunately, I apparently am their only fan, though. Their last couple of CDs are nearly IMPOSSIBLE to find in stores around here in Pittsburgh. I have had to purchase the last two from iTunes because I am convinced they DON'T PHYSICALLY EXIST ANYWHERE! They released a "CD" called "Suck Fony" after many problems with Sony Music International.

Now I bought two CDs lately (Neil Diamond's "12 Songs" and Cyndi Lauper's "The Body Acoustic"). They are both great CDs (on Columbia - a Sony subsidiary) but they have this copy protection stuff on them that is PURE EVIL!!! I imported them on my iMac without a problem and have been listening to them on my iPod. However, when I tried to listen to them on my computer at work (Windows, of course), I could not because I had to install a program and I don't have administrator priveleges. Since I could not play them for my co-worker I let him borrow them to listen to at home. He tried to play them on his computer (also Windows) and he agreed to install the program. Now his CD burner doesn't work!! I researched it and sure enough, the program he had to install on his computer has disabled his CD burner.

I have felt for a while that the internet is going to make record companies irrelevant. With situations like this, Sony is just hurrying up their own demise. The moral of the story is to BUY these CDs on iTunes (or some similar service). Eventually the norm will be that artists (especially established artists like Neil Diamond & Cyndi Lauper) will distribute these directly to their fans, cut out the middle men like Sony and the music world will be a better place.

2 Comments:

Blogger Draniac said...

Lets hope that is what happens (cut out the record companies completely), The issue with copy protected CD's is that they restrict "fair use" provisions related to the betamax case the Supreme Court heard back in the 80's. Funny, the new Foo Fighters is copy protected and I had no problems, thankfully.

D-What is your email? I could not find it here. my email draniac@adelphia.net
Would you be willing to post the Q-Time video of that pile of s*** rep. Jean Schmidt (R-Ohio) calling John Murtha a coward? Have u seen it? I have the link.

Sunday, November 20, 2005 10:37:00 AM  
Blogger Mark Rauterkus said...

Sounds like the pirate who was the benefit of the loaned CD from you to him has been caught by the trap that SONY and others have set for folks just like him.

If he is loading a CD onto his computer, and he didn't buy that CD - what's up with that?

But, for the rest of this, it is a bit of a problem. But you prove a point of how it is everyone's problem too.

Saturday, December 03, 2005 1:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home